Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pennyfarthing Espresso



206 High Street
Northcote 3070
Victoria Australia
Telephone: (03) 9482 2246


When my husband asks me to look up the address of “Penny Farthing” I let out a little groan. Being the cycling enthusiast he is, I am sure we are bound for some bike shop. Not what I really had in mind for such a gloriously sunny Melbourne Sunday. Particularly since I really did do my time in more than one bike shop yesterday! But alas, upon hearing my groan he quickly adds: “it’s not a bike shop, it’s a cafe!” Why didn’t you say so! I think to myself as I proceed to tap the letters into Google on my iPhone.

When I see the website, I remember this café having a little air time on Coxy’s Big Break some time ago. Two brothers with a passion for coffee. I remember watching it thinking that Coxy didn’t really seem to be a coffee person (whatever that is). But, in true Coxy style (with a big smile, moustache and plenty of enthusiasm), he was “giving it a go”.

We are greeted at the door with a smile and encouraged to keep moving through the busy front section of the café to the back, where we would find a vacant table. We prop ourselves up onto one of the bench height communal tables and order a couple of coffees.

The first page of the flip-chart menu is all about coffee. The following pages contain options for all-day breakfast, lunch and dinner. A blackboard to our left displays the specials. A blackboard behind me lists beers and wines.
We order from the specials board. One “pork belly sandwich with fresh mint, tomato, cos lettuce and house made aioli” ($13) and one “garlic and thyme roasted mushrooms with ricotta & sautéed radicchio on toast, finished with balsamic reduction” ($15).

The coffee arrives complete with coffee art. It is strong, but smooth. I get to finish my coffee before the food arrives. Not sure if it was deliberate, but I am happy about it nonetheless.

The food is delicious. The garlic and thyme perfectly compliment the three large, fleshy upside-down mushrooms. A blob of ricotta sits in the centre of each. Under the mushrooms is a layer of onion and radicchio. No sourness in it at all. A thick piece of chewy-crust sourdough cradles all the components. The balsamic reduction is perfectly sweet.

The three pork belly strips are tasty with that perfect crunch. The lettuce is neatly sliced to form wiggly strips, and the aioli is creamy. Once again, the chewy-crust sourdough is underneath it all. It’s not really a “sandwich”, but any more bread on this plate would be a shame. The tomato is probably not critical in this dish, but doesn’t cause any harm.

The vibe of this place is “High street cool”. Bob Dylan sings to you through the sound system. People are here in groups, pairs or on their own (in a very cool way).

This is one of those places where you could come to: quickly grab your daily cup; sit and read; write your novel or a Uni assignment; or chat for hours with a group of friends. The garden out the back is the perfect place for a beer in the sun. Pennyfarthing gave us good service, great coffee and a delicious, fresh & flavoursome lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment