Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Races are coming!


Gloves? Check. Appropriate dress? Check. Shoes and bag? Check. Headwear? Check!! Good-time attitude and lipstick smile? Check check! Yes, the sun is out and the races are beckoning - three cheers for spring and three cheers for the races (and a couple of cheers to the jockeys for agreeing on the whip rules)!

There is no doubt that the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival is just around the corner. In fact, I will be attending Underwood Stakes Day at Caulfield this weekend so the races are, it seems, well and truly upon us!

To me, the Spring Carnival is largely about the fashion. Don’t get me wrong - I also love the horses, the excitement and those unique trackside sounds. The cheering, the clinking of champagne glasses, laughter... But, oh the fashion. Where else can one dress in a complete outfit with gloves, and headwear? If you can tell me, I would like to know.

As I mentioned, this weekend brings Chapter One: Underwood Stakes Day at Caulfield. I am a little excited for a number of reasons and at this stage, the weather forecast is pleasing to say the least - a "sunny 24" - so a light, flowing fabric perhaps? Cute lace gloves and antique veiling also come to mind… Although, I have to admit, as much as it hurts to do so, I am not really short of options (although am always on the lookout for something new) so will have to see what Saturday brings! One can't plan her outfit too far in advance!

Another reason for loving the Spring Racing Carnival is that it has become tradition that it is a time for my mum and I to put our (sometimes flippant) heads together and create! Millinery is one of the stunning features that the racing season brings to life and 10 (or more) years of being surrounded by feathers, flowers and straw, as well as designing and styling racewear outfits, has taken its toll... for the better!

With encouragement from a truly inspiring milliner/mentor/mother, I recently completed a course with highly respected Melbourne-based milliner, Louise MacDonald. So, with skills refined and a head buzzing with ideas, I am busy putting into form, my 2009 millinery collection. My collection this year is a culmination of in-season colours, pleasing lines and classic elegance. (To view a snapshot of my 2009 collection visit http://millinerybyalexandra.blogspot.com/).

So, it's off to the track on Saturday for what is sure to be a great day out and the beginning of a a very event-filled racing season!

No comments:

Post a Comment